Monday, February 18, 2013

Annnnd, I'm Back

I've had a burst of energy that directed itself towards one of my fangames and expanded the hell out of the world map. I tinkered with the plot a bit, and went resource hunting, mostly for battle backgrounds and kept going and going and I'm still going. I fretted over the battle backgrounds a bit; having separate ones for rivers, continent edges and oceans that all use the same tile with the same terrain tags linked to the same background. I didn't want river battles taking place on a ship or ocean battles taking place on a river. The best solution I've come up with(besides completely redoing the entire world map) was setting up background changes for certain groups of monsters. The only problem with this is that the backgrounds can be seen changing at the star of the battle. Luckily, with the right screen transitions, it muddles it enough to be passable, thanks to the plains and river backgrounds sharing similar colors.

Other than that, I'm still chugging along and I plan to do a lot more mapping in the very near future and then possibly getting a playable build going sometime after that. Progress on my original project is still at a dead stand still, though. While I'm starting to get the hang of chipset editing and charset editing, doing it in the default paint program is a tad freaking tedious and doing it for two projects at time seems uber time consuming and would most certainly make me apathetic about working on either one, resulting in more hiatuses and very sporadic tinkering on one or the other; instead of actually working on one at a reasonable pace where shit actually get's done. So for now, my original project is on the back burner and I'm focusing on my fangame.

No comments:

Post a Comment